Latest version of my init(8) package.

I've just uploaded to Atari.archive a source only distribution of the latest
version of my init package for MiNT (New/inisrc11.tgz and
New/inisrc11.readme1st).

This is a source only distribution as you'll need to know what you're doing
to extract and compile it!

Firstly, you'll need to have GNU gzip and GNU tar handy and to have a Minix
partition with about 3MB free to extract the archive easily, though you
could get away with about 1.5-2 MB if you decompress the archive on another
partition.

You'll need a Minix partition as some of the files in the archive have names
which won't fit the TOS 8+3 format.

What does this archive contain I here you ask...

It contains:-

	ac(8)
	A rather full etc directory
	finger(1)
	getty(8)
	An include directory for stuff which may not be in mintlibs
	(Please ignore and remove the syslogd.h file, sorry, slipped in)
	init(8)
	last(1)
	A lib directory holding such things as an implementation of writev
	login(1)
	su(1)
	passwd(1)
	As many manual pages as there were before. (oops! :-))
	A version of Ash, I can't remember if this is the version I modified
		to handle "for i do...done" loops.
	who(1)
	wlogin
	syslog - the complete (well almost) BSD release version.
	write(1) This version should now work!

I think that'll do for the time being.

The binary version won't appear until I've written a complete installation
system for the package which will include all the programs needed to get a
full BSD-like environment running. Don't hold your breath!

Steve

PS. This is really directed to Stephen Henson etc..
I found a problem when using syslogd on a Minix filesystem, I'm including
the notice I've placed in the syslog directory warning of the problem below:-

--8<-- Cut -- Here --8<--
There is a possible problem with MiNT or some versions of the Minix
filesystem device driver which may either cause MiNT to lock up or the
system log daemon to die with a "hardware" access violation when run on a
machine with memory protection.

If /var/adm/messages is read by a program whilst syslogd is running, the
next time syslogd tries to write to the file it will crash. If
/var/adm/messages is read by a program more than twice, on the third time
MiNT will seize up completely.

This problem was found whilst using MiNT 1.07 and Minixfs version 6.0
patchevel 4.

Stephen Usher, 9th August, 1993.

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).