Linux-Activists - 680X0 Channel digest. 93-9-15-12:46

Topics:
	 I'm back -- Things look good

From: "Gregory O. Harp" <harp@netcom.com>
Subject: I'm back -- Things look good
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 07:08:08 +0200

Well, after a long absence I have decided I have the time and interest
to re-involve myself with the 680x0 Linux development project.
Actually, I'm still working at the place that resulted in my leaving
the project.  I administrate more SPARC 10's, 3b2's, DG's and SCO
boxes than you can shake a stick at.  However, somehow I still feel
like playing with Unix on my free time as well.  Go figure...

Out of curiosity I grabbed 0.05pl3 for a look-see.  Excellent work!  I
was giggling my head off when I mounted my Amiga FFS partitions under
it. ;)

One possible problem, and it may be a known one since I've been so out
of it: The SCSI bus scan found my Maxtor XT-8380S, which is at SCSI id
1, on all 8 LUNs.  This drive is hanging off of my A3000 which
currently also has the stock Quantum 105MB in it at SCSI id 6.	It
only found the Quantum on LUN 0 like it should have.  I just
re-assembled my A3000 tonight after about 6 months of inactivity, so I
need to check it for a possible SCSI bus termination problem which,
who knows, could have caused this.  I'll update when I have a chance
to check it out.

The only other thing I noticed was that the console device seems to be
much slower than I remember it (way back when I wrote it -- but that
one was probably scrapped since it wasn't really a suitable device).
Also, the cursor isn't lined up exactly right, but that's a nit that
I'm picking.  The thing obviously works better than the one I wrote
originally anyway... ;)

All in all, quite an impressive job.  I'm looking forward to working
with all of you again.  I'll be downloading the source and all the
utilities (might as well re-assemble the development environment from
scratch as well) tonight.  Hamish, by the time the mailing list
spooler sends this out you should have also received a private message
from me.

--Greg

End of 680X0 Digest
-------