MiNT goes UNIX? YES!

> From: Annius Groenink <Annius.Groenink@let.ruu.nl>
> > I'd like to propose not to go into too much detail in defining a "standard"
> > for the file system layout.  Different distributions will handle things
> > differently, so I don't see much sense in discussing at this time where
> > particular binaries of particular flavours of Unix should live, especially
> > since most programs are independent of their physical location.
>
> I totally agree.  MiNT shouldn't be viewed as an attempt to obtain a
> complete UNIX clone.  I mean look at this discussion, it's ridiculous,
> really.  There's nothing Atari-specific left.  What about GEM for example.
> Did we forget about that?

I do not.

Let's not get into a religious dispute over UNIX vs. a lot of other
things, but let us just recognize that for some of us, the UNIX way
feels better in many respects.

MiNT is in this context quite a step in the right direction, providing
much of the stuff a UNIX will need, emulating a bunch of the rest in
the library. So MiNT and friends can bring  my atari a lot closer to
the feel of my university UNIX account. Furthermore, I think that the
ressources needed will be much more favorable for a UNIX-near MiNT
setup than a LINUX distribution can ever hope for.

So to me, starting a UNIX-like clone up on the basis of MiNT, is
indeed very sensible. And this discussion really only is an attempt to
collect the UNIX freaks, so we can pull together on the project.

Not that I mind the critique, one should always have people asking why
this is really good, but if this discussion is to deterioate into some
mindless OS war (it hasn't yet) we better get back to the original
idea of a separate mailing list. I for one still like the idea of an
Atari UNIX (like) thing.

I have nothing against my atari, or GEM or GEMDOS, I simply have other
preferences.

Christian Lynbech               | Hit the philistines three times over the
office: R0.33 (phone: 3217)	| head with the Elisp reference manual.
email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk	|        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)