Suggestions

Hi everybody!

While we now have a write cache with the minix fs, there is a potential
danger with it: when someone presses alt-cntrl-del before the update
daemon has synced the fs, there is hight probability of file damage.
To prevent this, I thought of a mechanism that is invoked on alt-cntrl-del
and asks the user if he/she really wants to reboot, send signals to all
processes first etc. That way this problem would be non existing anymore.

A second point: I would really like the mint kernel to know about its
name before the filesystems and device drivers get loaded. This is for the
unix style authentification for nfs, the hostname stuff for tcp/ip etc.
So what about the following: the kernel reads the file \etc\hostname
and stores the contents (or only the first word of it) in a global variable,
which can be accessed by a new system call long Shostname(char *s, int len),
which returns 0 if the hostname fits into the string s which has lenght len,
or ERANGE otherwise. If you like this idea, I could implement it and send
the diffs out here.

Regards,
Ulrich

--
| Ulrich Kuehn  | Internet:                  | Life is uncertain --  |