Re: Deleting owned files...

 Hellooo...

> |> lancelot# ll !$
> |> -r--r--r--   1 269      15          17976 May 11 19:46 uucp-1.03/COPYING
> |> lancelot# tar xzvf uucp-1.03.tar.gz uucp-1.03/COPYING
> |> uucp-1.03/COPYING
> |> tar: Could not create file uucp-1.03/COPYING : access denied.
>
> MiNT does not allow root to open a readonly file for writing.  This
> should really be changed, IMHO.

 Hmmm, wrong. MiNT (or the denyaccess() routine) does very well allow root
to open a readonly file for writing. The problem is that you must ignore the
reported filemode and just try it. Most programs seems to self-check the
file modes before trying to open the file, and therefore fail. I've seen
some GNU tools and editors doing this.

 How do editors under UN*X handle this? If you patch the getxattr() stuff to
respect this, directoy listings won't report the correct modes any more, so
what shall one do...?

> IMHO, the biggest problem of MiNT is its compatibility with TOS.

 :-)

ciao,
TeSche
--
Torsten Scherer (Schiller, TeSche...)
Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld, Germany, Europe, Earth...