Re: Domain X

> I tried a normal reply, but this Unix system is running on a i386.  I kept
> getting a stupid core dump!

 Yeah, that's life... ;-)

> Yeah, I agree.  I guess things would be easiest, and adequate, if we
> forget changing MiNT domain and just protect DOM_X.

 That's probably what I was thinking about :-)

> GEM only runs on the local console.  If your going to give a user access to
> run GEM, you have to let him sit at your computer!  That is the least
> protected you can get as he could hold CNTRL-ALT-SHIFT to boot from
> floppy.  Load a hard disk driver from floppy, and then modify your MINT.CNF
> file since it resides on a FAT partition which can be accessed without MiNT.

 Well, that's not really an issue, but I may perhaps soon come into such a
situation where I'd like other people to have access to my machine, but don't
want them to be able to kill/modify any vital parts. Anybody has it's pockets
full of backups of the last hundred DOS versions ;-) but none of them uses
an ST and has got a disk with an AHDI or something like this... :-)

 But let me repeat: That's not really an issue.

> There is another alternative than killing the program.  Point the trap
> into a GEM emulator that makes X Windows calls!  Run GEM programs over a
> network!  Imagine connecting an X terminal to a TT and having the X terminal
> run Pagestream!   Impossible?   No .. but I don't think its likely to happen
> anytime soon!!!

 I'd much more prefer to wait for a "real" X port... :-)

ciao,
TeSche
--
Torsten Scherer (Schiller, TeSche...)
Faculty of Technology, University of Bielefeld, Germany, Europe, Earth...