MiNT problems...

Hello all,

I was having a lot of the same problems that people seem to be having.
My problems were that some of the GNU utilities quit working after
patching MiNT 1.10 to h1 and later.  I found the problem was GNU C's
builtin alloca routine.  It seems that alloca was not requesting memory
from the OS but getting the memory from the program's (stack or heap not
real sure).

After looking it seems that the symbol _stksize is set to 0 by default (
minimum memory).  After increasing this to 20K or more for all my programs
the problem disappeared.  So it seems that the patched MiNT changes
something for memory allocatment for a process.  Someone who knows want
to confirm this?  To me this is a MiNT bug as programs that once ran OK
no longer run.  I haven't looked into the patches or MiNT so I'm not sure
if this could be the answer to these other problems, but couldn't hurt to
try.

Hope this helps,

George
george@nmt.edu