Re: Questions and suggestions

Elias M}rtensson writes:

> Hello everybody! I'm new to this list so please excuse me if these issues
> has already meen discussed.
>
> I've been using MultiTOS for quite some time now, trying to make it
> UNIX-caompatible where ever possible. Now, there are a number of things I
> would like to see in MiNT. Please tell me what the opinion thinks about
> shese things:
>
> 1: Shouldn't all process files (in /proc) should have 644, not 600. So
> that any user can get full information on them?

 hmm are there unix versions that do this?  i think reading /proc can
give away more info than the usual popen ("/bin/ps ..."), at least
on MiNT...

> 2: A nice thing would be if you could change the mode-bits on the
> TOS-filesystem-directories (i.e. u:/c), otherwise, it is impossible to
> create a secure system. Since any user cn change, for example, teh
> mint.cnf file. I would like to set these directories to 700.

 already done, get Michaels patch collection...

> 3: There are a number of system calls that _need_ to be superuser-only.
> The most important of these are of course Super() and Supexec(), because
> as long as any user can execute this instruction, the system can't be
> secure. Other super-only instructions include Dsp_Reset, Dsp_LoadProg,
> Jenabit, Setexec and other system calls that can crash the system.

 yes to make mint secure you need these, and more things.  i guess the
biggest problem here is TOS compatibility... :/

> 4: For these things to work, we need a working setuid-flag of course. I
> was told that the setuid-flag is not yet implented, it it coming?

 hmm my /bin/su, uux, rnews have no problems.  of course you cannot
keep them on GEMDOS filesystems... :)

> 8: Should a line be terminated by LF or CR/LF? Personally I don't like
> CR/LF. A good example is the lf-flag (in stty). There is no way that I
> can disable lf->cr/lf mapping because mintlib outputs the cr itself!

 is that the latest mintlib?  sounds like a bug i patched a while ago...

>  And
> it's difficult to open stdout/stderr in binary mode.

 well you can always put a `b' in UNIXMODE, or set __default_mode...
the only problem is you better have no ^Ms left in files then or you
still need to patch sources.

 cheers
	Juergen
--