Re: Mint 1.10 Slow??

> Ok MagC ! is really faster !!! This is true. But MagC! has NO !!! Minix XFS
> support ! If you want to compile with gcc you  MiNT/Minix XFS & gcc. With
> pure C you can't really work, can you ??? MiNT compiled with gcc is much
> better than with Pure C !

What a dynamic answer 8-) Could someone please write a converter
which turns exclamation marks into CPU cycles - given Filipe's
abundant input, this would speed up MiNT considerably.

Seriously, MiNT is only a multitasking kernel, and Mag!X also
has an optimized VDI (essentially NVDI) and AES as well as BIOS
and XBIOS. It's not surprising that it is really fast. MiNT alone
can never get there.

This is not to say that MiNT itself cannot be optimized at all,
but I'm not at all in a position to judge where performance is lost.
Do we have decent profiling tools for the MiNT kernel to find out
more about the time spent in the various areas? If not, I'd suggest
we start writing such debug/profiling utilities first to make sure
that we're focusing on the right places for performance enhancement.
Something like counting the CPU time for each of the kernel calls
(and maybe a level below that) would be nice.

Claus Brod, MDD, HP Boeblingen         Have you hugged your manager today?