Fgetchar/Fread

Why doesn't Fgetchar() return function key escapes and such (XKEY) like
Fread() ?  I like using Fgetchar() for non-buffered keyboard input since
I can switch between modes easily and it seems like it would have a lower
over-head than Fread() of one character.

The weird part, is that screen seems to use Fread() to read characters,
so if the program running under screen uses Fgetchar() it will read the
XKEY keys, but without screen, it won't recieve the xkey escapes.  Is
this a bug, a feature, or just a minor inconsistency.  Should I always
use Fread() and not Fgetchar() ?   It seems the only way to get XKEY
information.

Thanks,
Evan Langlois