Re: Slip

roemer@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> Well, slattach usually does these tty settings, too. In fact slattach
> does nearly the same as the above script with one exception: It gets
> the local hosts name via gethostname() and resolves the name into
> an IP address using gethostbyname().

As you told me, slattach is intended to run as a daemon while the SLIP
connection is up. Will slattach restore the attached interface if it
gets killed? If I use the script to attach the connection and after
ifconfig sl0 down, there seems to be no way to use sl0 once more and
the serial device isn't accesible until I reboot.

> The problem with doing it this way is the following: gethostbyname()
> uses one of the namservers in /etc/resolv.conf to resolve the hostname into
> an IP address. But usually the nameserver is one of the hosts on the other
> side of the slip link that is currently beeing established. So naturally
> (because the slip link is not yet up!) the resolving fails.

Urgs. I didn't have a look at the resolver code, but I think, it would
be a good idea to configure the resolver via /etc/host.conf. There you
usually can specify the order of /etc/hosts, DNS and NIS consulted to
resolve the hostnames. Have a look at the resolv+2.1.1 code.

I do not understand why putting localhost in the resolv.conf makes
sense, since I neither have seen a named for MiNTNet nor does it make
sense to run such a daemon on an ATARI.

I have three machines networked at home. A FreeBSD box via ethernet to
my Sun and the TT connected via SLIP to the Sun. None of them are
running nameservers. If I connect to the internet, the Sun is
resolving hostnames via DNS, but all of the machines use /etc/hosts
first. Perhaps I'll change this behaviour if I get permanently
connected to the Internet, but I assume most of the ATARIs out there
will never have a permanent connection to the internet.

> Another problem are the modem2 and serial2 ports of the TT. The will *not*
> work without hsmodem -- don't ask me why...

I'll swap the SLIP connection from the Sun to the FreeBSD box as soon
as I soldered a new nullmodem cable and then I want to use SLIP at
higher rates than 19200. The FreeBSD machine offers 57600 and 115200
Baud. Anyone ever tried SLIP with 115200 on a TT?

> serial1 does not work with a usual null modem, because of the missing DTR/DCD
> signals.

I did not understand yet why these signals are needed for a nullmodem
connection.

> Up until now I had no chance to try MintNet on the Falcon. If it does not
> work on modem1 of the Falcon then first try hsmodem.... and send me mail
> if you get it to work.

Sorry, sold my FALCON a while ago. ;) But the FALCON has just modem2
and no modem1. (I hope the current version of MiNT names the serial
device of the FALCON modem2. As I remember the bahaviour of MiNT
changed in every version of MiNT since 0.95).

Bye,
Knarf

P.S.: Anyone interested in my port of `rdate'?
--
    Frank Bartels    |      UUCP/ZModem: + 49 89 5469593       | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!