meeting the license

I guess there will be a long interval until MiNT 1.13, and that some
subscribers of this mailing list will be distributing modified MiNT
versions in source and/or binary forms, which raises the question of
how to meet the requirements of the new MiNT license.

Particularly, I would like "megapatched" MiNT versions to meet the
license so that these versions can be distributed as full releases
(and not just patches), and I'd like to discuss with you how to
achieve that.

1.  The license requires that "all modified files must carry prominent
    notices stating that the files have been changed, and the date of
    any change".

    I've checked with Eric that it would be sufficient to put a
    pointer to a "Changes" file into each changed file.  He suggested
    something along the lines of

    /*
     * This file has been modified as part of the SuperMiNT project. See
     * the file SuperMiNT.CHANGES for details and dates.
     */

    I'll probably switch to a "ChangeLog"-like file which also
    mentiones the date of changes (the current README.1ST doesn't do
    that).

    Another option would be to use an RCS $Log$ tag in each file so
    that the log of changes would automatically be updated when the
    file is checked in.

    What do you think?

2.  Eric has requested to use a different name than "MiNT" for
    enhanced versions of MiNT.

    To avoid starting a flame war, how about mailing me your
    suggestion for a name for the "megapatched" kernel?  I'd then
    summarize suggestions and any discussion to this list.

    (What do you think of "Hint"? :-)

Michael
--
Email: hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de