Re: Mint 1.11h3 compile problems

troy wrote:

> 1.  To capture the information, I would really like to have the script
>     program to log my entire session to a file.  Has script been ported to
>     MiNT?  Can I just redirect the compilation output to a file to get the
>     needed text?

Type "make >& make.log &" and then do a "tail -f make.log" or just
type "make |& tee make.log". This is for C-Shell. If you use a bourne
shell, you can try "make 2>&1 >make.log &" and then tail or "make >&1
| tee make.log".

> (on some machines, sterr only goes to the console, hence the
>     need for script).

I've seen many braindead machines, but I cannot beleive that.

> 2.  Patch:  is it ok to run it more than once if it bombs?

If really *every* hunk failed, it is okay, otherwise not.

> Mine only bombs
>     when it can't find the source file to patch, like the UPDATE.C file.  On
>     my HP workstation, patch simply creates the missing file.  My MiNT version
>     of patch stops, and I have to start over.  Is that safe?

Get a better patch program for MiNT or have a look at the commandline
options for your existing program. The usual behaviour is to create a
file if it does not exist.

> 3.  Am I the only one who gets warning messages while compiling some MiNT
>     modules?  I get "incompatible pointer type" and warnings of prototypes
>     on two or three modules.  Are these problems known?  Is anyone working to
>     clean these up?

Sure there are some warnings, but *you* can ignore them. Those who
send patches for MiNT should try to leave MiNT -Wall-clean as it was
in earlier versions. Is MiNT 1.12 -Wall-clean? Did not try it yet.

> 4.  What is the latest version of the Mintlibs and where do I get them?  Are
>     there simple instructions on how to replace my existing libs with the new
>     ones?  I think I am still using PL44.  I heard 45 was something to avoid,
>     so I have been waiting.  I have not seen a newer version on atari.archive.

Stay at PL44 if you don't want to run into troubles. We're all waiting
for a PL46 which includes the new termios stuff and other
features/bugfixes, but entropy seems to be away (hint, hint).

> 5.  I still have the getty problem where my login: prompt is garbled, but the
>     password: prompt is ok.  This did not happen with my first installation of
>     mintos 1.4.1, but with the replacement I just ftp'd (version 1.4.1), I now
>     get the messed up login: prompt.

Have a look at gettytab and be sure you really replaced all the
important binaries. I had a similar problem from 1.1 to 1.2.

> Thanks.  I would really like to get 1.11h3 compiled ASAP since the patches
> fix  some of the problems I have been seeing (like the FTPD problem).

Get and enjoy MiNT 1.12. ;)

Bye,
Knarf
--