MiNT-Library: Bugs

Hi!

I just had a look at the MiNT-Library Bugs file and I have some
suggestions:

> *.c: ++boender
>   Currently, the code for the mintlibs does various checks
>   according to the various versions of MiNT. Now, this is all very
>   well, but in some cases, this causes *three* versions of the
>   code to exist: TOS, old MiNT and new MiNT. Should this be cleaned
>   up at some time, i.e. do we stop supporting MiNT before 0.8 or 0.9?
>   Some obvious candidates are killpg.c and unx2dos.c.

Since MiNT 1.12 is out, there is really no need to use 0.95 any
longer.

> *.h:  ++boender
>   I have a problem using gcc and GNU programs. If a Makefile from a
>   GNU program sets a gcc parameter of -I../lib, and a C file does
>   #include "wait.h", "../lib/wait.h" will be included. Now this file
>   includes <sys/wait.h>, which does an #include <wait.h>. This, in turn,
>   includes the GNU lib/wait.h! (Wow, recursive, recursive, .....)
> [...]

I think we should get rid of bammi's C-Compiler as soon as possible. I
will never understand why it searches includes in /gnu/lib by default.
But I think Andreas Schwab doesn't want to adapt 2.3.3, since he's
already using 2.6.x (which I don't trust yet). I have a set of patches
for 2.5.8 and I'll try to build it as soon as I find the time...

> getopt.c, unistd.h: ++boender
>   The three externally usable variables defined in getopt.c should be
>   included in <unistd.h>, where getopt() is declared too.  These
>   are: 'extern char *optarg', 'extern int opterr' and 'extern int optind'.
>   [Not really a bug.  Leave it this way because UNIX doesn't have these
>   vars in any headers either. -entropy]

FreeBSD does define these vars in stdlib.h.

> ioctl.c: ++nox
>   TIOCSETP is #defined to be == TIOCSETN, but they are not really...
>   also still looks like it disables RTSCTS every time, unless i
>   specifically set that bit (0x2000), and thats not #defined in ioctl.h.
>   (and more things like TIOCFLUSH... but Eric knows them already. :-)

I'm still waiting for an official version with the new patches.

> localtim.c: ++nox
>   Fix localtime() etc. to get the start/end DST rules from $TZ...

This would make rdate much more useable. NFS is only useable if you
live in the GMT/UTC timezone...

> mknod.c: ++entropy
>   The current "emulation" of mknod() is really silly, it does nothing at
>   all and indicates that an error occurred.  We could at least try to
>   emulate properly for the kinds of files we know how to make (directories,
>   regular files, etc).

Hmm, maybe this caused my problems when trying to port lpd. ;)

> stat.c: +nox
>   In lstat(), maybe make filenames with trailing slash follow symlinks?
>   sometimes it would be nice if i could do `ls -l /usr/' and get whats
>   in there, not just the link...
>   [This sounds like a bad idea to me.  Sounds like a kludge in ls is
>   what's needed here, if anything. -entropy]

No! No! No! `ls -l /usr/' *has* to follow the link! And it does on my
SunOS 4 and FreeBSD machine. *Please* change this behaviour!

> utmp.c: ++boender
>   The utmp structure as defined differs from the System V structure.

I don't think we really want a SysV utmp, since we don't have (and I
personally don't want) a SysV init.

>   As I don't think MiNT will ever write /etc/utmp and /etc/wtmp
>   structures on booting, perhaps we should leave this be.

Under BSD the kernel never writes to utmp/wtmp. There is no difference
between {INIT,USER,LOGIN}_PROCESS. The entries are made by /bin/login
or using the login() function of libutil.a (if present). Have a look at
mgetty's (>= 0.22) utmp.c if you are interested in writing
utmp-entries.

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |      UUCP/ZModem: + 49 89 5469593       | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!