mint goals?

where is mint heading?  what projects are being worked on right now for
mint? I'm looking for software project ideas for an individual programming
course and I'd like to do something with mint.  However, I'd like some
ideas (ie additional features) that would be useful to the further
development of MiNT.

Aside from additions to mint, I have noticed as I go over the sources that
some of the code sections are very MESSY.  (mainly hard to understand or
modify, but it works).  would there be any benefit in rewriting portions
of the code?  take a look at the command line argument code and the config
file reading code in main.c for some examples.

thanks,
David