Re: Files disappear

>>What's going on here?
>
>I've seen this too.  Oddly enough, both times I was porting RCS...
>
>The first time, it was while testing the new binaries, so I assumed it
>was a bug in RCS with a weird, weird side-effect on my filesystem.  I
>ended up with a directory I couldn't delete, which apparently has an
>invisible file or two in it.
>
>The second time, it happened while compiling RCS, so I started thinking
>it was a bug in minixfs...  if I did 'ls -l', I saw _one_ of the RCS
>binaries.  I could, however, do 'ls -l filename' and have filename show
>up by itself, even though it wasn't visible during 'ls -l'.
>
>So now I've got two directories with invisible files in them, that I
>can't delete.  fsck doesn't tell me anything bad about my filesystem, so
>maybe it's a bug in mintlibs and the fileutils port.  I think I'll see
>if the MultiTOS desktop can see any files in those directories.
>
>I'm very glad to find out I'm not the only one who's experienced this!
>
>BTW knarf, do you have UNIXMODE set to anything?  Mine is set to
>"/sbcurU".  I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I can probably tell whats going on.. It's whose damn mintlibs again.
According to the mintlibs files can be 31 character long but no more. Thats
probably why ls and other utilites dont see filenames longer than 31
characters. Take an look in limits.h and see for yourself..

Is there a new version of the mintlibs soon available or shuld we try to find
someone willing to fix them. I have difficulties because I'm not really
connected to the internet. But I can help someone who is by mailing him some
code.

--

Mats Loman <lom@tc.multi.se>