Problems creating large Minix partition

I think this may be a recurring question... sorry for
not breaking new ground...

I have a 110Mb BGM partition on my TT's internal drive, which I
wish to convert to Minixfs. In keeping with (my understanding of) the
minit.ttp documentation, I edited the boot sector of the partition
to make sector size 1K instead of the original 4K. Then I gave
minit the following parameters:

minit -P -V -n 2 -b 110440 f:

The number 110440 was arrived at by multiplying the original number of 4K
sectors by 4. (Since we now have 1K sectors).  After a fairly long time,
the program returned a message saying that the partition had been
successfuly formatted. Problem is, I cannot write to the partition, and
fsck tells me it cannot access it.  One thing that bothers me is that I
might not have passed the right number of blocks; the docs do talk about
"blocks", not "sectors". But I tried reformatting with "-b 55220",
assuming 2 sectors per block, and I'm still getting the same problem.
Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me?

Thanks

Yves

Yves Pelletier                             ypelletier@cmc.aes.doe.ca
Section analyse et pronostic
Centre Meteorologique Canadien             Not a CMC spokesman