Appropriate values for _stksiz?

Hi all,

I've been compiling up several GNU programs and utilities recently, and
would like your opinions on the best way of finding appropriate values
to set their stack sizes to.  At the moment, I've been compiling them
with the default _stksiz=0 (which gives 8K of stack, malloc off heap, I
think) and if they didn't work, I've been fixstk'ing them to 32K.  Is
there any better method?  Are there any programs that I should know
about which need huge amounts of stack space?

Also, where can I find out about the -mbaserel and -mpcrel options to
GCC?  I'd like to know how they should be used, whether sharable
programs will run under TOS as well as MiNT, do they run any faster,
are the programs produced any bigger...  and what other advantages/
disadvantages there are.

Thanks very much for your help,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith