getty problems: no xon/xoff

Last weekend I connected a serial terminal to my st
and played a little bit with this configuration:

Now I'm able to send the debugging output to the terminal
instead of the printer, I can even cat a file from
/dev/ttya to /dev/ttyb (where the terminal is).

It's no problem to set the speed and communication-parameters
using stty 9600 ixon </dev/ttyb

But the big problem is:
When I start a getty on this line it comes up without
xon/xoff flow-controll. stty reports -ixon and the terminal
shows garbage. (Even an ls is impossible)

I didn't find a way to set the line to ixon:
stty first will be overwritten by getty
stty on the open line => access denied

Which parameter in the gettytab did I overlook?

BTW: I'm using MH-Mint 1.12h2, getty & Co from MiNTOS 1.4.1
     a 14 year old HP-terminal.
     HS-modem is still unpacked, it can do neither good nor harm

Bye Axel