Re: BUG: deny_access

Dancer wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 1995, Steffen Ries wrote:

> > I want to report a minor bug in the way MiNT denies (or rather allows)
> > access to files.
> >
> > MiNT allows root to do _everything_, even to execute files which are
> > not executable. This behaviour is not shared by other unices (SunOS,
> > linux, etc.) which allow root read and write access, but deny
> > executional rights.
>
> 	Not so. Assuming youare restoring from backup, just as I have,
> and your tar does not set the execute bit on any file. You can't run
> chmod to fix it, so how do you it? (The answer is actually TOS
> filesystems, but leave that aside)

I'm tempted to say your `tar' is broken... :)

> [...]  According to the Unix canon,
> permission and protection _do_not_exist_ for the superuser. He or she can
> do anything they like (even if it's really wrong and dumb)

While I do agree with this, every Unix I know gets it ``wrong'' here
(i.e., doesn't allow you to run files without execute permission).
And shouldn't MiNT be compatible with Unix as far as possible? ;)

Michael
--
Email: hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de
WWW:   http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~mh1/