User Level File Permissions, etc...

I need to know what permissions to set on files such that my normal users
can access them....They way the MDK installed them and TAR only people
identified as a member of group root (with same security settings) can
access anything.

(i.e. I get access denied messages from finger, with 711 or 644 as the mode
set on finger.)

I also can't get a normal user logging in a full path specification, it
truncs all path statements (only on group USERS) to U:/usr/bin, U:/usr/ucb,
and the current directory.  However nothing in UCB is allowed to be executed
except getty, and some of the files in /usr/bin don't work either.  all of
my RC and Shell scripts that have path statements include /bin, /mgr, /etc,
/usr/bin, /usr/bin/mgr, /usr/etc,/usr/sbin, /usr/ucb, and ".".  (As you can
see, I'm not too concerned about security, as for the moment it's just my
father and I.  I will change these later, but first I have to get them
working right.  When I change it users should have access to
/usr/bin,/usr/bin/mgr,/usr/sbin,/usr/ucb, and "." (usually their home
directory which in my case is /home/creative.comm/$USER)

Are there possibly permissions on directories I need to look into changing?

I don't currently see the need for /local/bin and think the heirarchy
confusing enough as it is without haveing to add more paths to
search...although /usr/bin is a rather crowded directory...)  If this can be
made to work properly, (i.e. just like a real Un*x Box...it would be
great...especially from a sysop's point of view...)

Also is there a program to make it easier to add new users including
installing a default profile...in their home directory?