Re: MiNT and vanilla ST(e)

> So, I was wondering if it would be feasible without too much trouble,
> to come up with a stripped down version of MiNT (MiNT-Lite, as it
> were...) for small systems.  The way I envision it, it would have the
> facilities needed to run minixfs, but after that, the aim would be to
> have the smallest possible kernel. Compatibility with other MiNT-aware
> software is not really an issue, since the target audience would be
> likely to be using almost only GEM and ROM-TOS applications. They
> could always switch to the full-featured MiNT if/when they need to and
> have access to a large enough machine.
>
> I considered the idea of using MiNT 0.95 as a sort of MiNT-Lite, but a
> stripped down MiNT 1.12 would probably be less buggy and more
> streamlined.
>
> What's the feeling out there on this?

I think it's a great idea - I would like to be able to use the
longer filenames without taking up space on my hard drive with all
the Unix style programs. I have a MO drive, so on one disk I intend
to have a full MiNT system running, but on my usual GEM/MultiTOS
working disk, it would be nice to have access to long filenames
without the space and also the _speed_ overheads of full blown MiNT.
It would also be nice to show to the Mac addict friend of mine who
complains about DOS filenames (I'm concerned about showing him the
full MiNT system because it can be very slooooow, and because I
haven't got it all set up and running as I would like at the
moment).

Cheers,

Xav <mbge4mdc@fs1.ee.man.ac.uk>