Help - new user!

Having finally got some extra hard drive space, I decided to teach
myself some elementary Unix stuff by installing a MiNT system on my
ST. Ideally I would like it to run under MultiTOS, since I want to
make a mini network with a bloke upstairs running Linux on his PC,
but would still like to be able to use my GEM programs whilst nothing
is going on between the machines that I need to know about.

I've set everything up with symbolic links to my minix partitions,
etc. and it all runs fine. The problem is with logging in. I am using
login.ttp to open a TOSWIN window, but I cannot login as root. I have
set myself up with the same permissions, so logging in under my name
allows me access to everything, but this is missing the point really.
I've checked my passwd file, and tried root with no password, or the
same one that I use for my personal login. Neither works - just
giving a "Login incorrect" message. Could it be because I'm not
running through init?

Also, when I log out, there seems to be no record made of it.
Consequently doing a "who" results in listings for pseudo TTYs that I
logged out of days ago.

Could anyone tell me what files are run/read/checked on booting up or
logging in. I've tried using bash and C-shell, and bash fails to
notice my environment variables (set in mint.cnf), whereas C-shell
does. I can only assume that there is a problem in one of the bash
script files, but I have no idea where to begin.

Sorry if these questions seem really simple or basic, but we all need
to learn somehow! If anyone could recommend a good, easy to read and
_cheap_ (I'm a student) book that would help to get me started, I
would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Xav <mbge4mdc@fs1.ee.man.ac.uk>

P.S. Is it possible to use Autoswitch Overscan with MiNT? I've tried,
and failed, but it _might_ just be my auto folder ordering.