Re: What's the best Atari portable system?

Claus Brod writes:

> > 2)  (Secondhand) Portable Mac + MagiCMac
> >
> > 3)  Notebook PC + Linux + X + STonX

4)  Notebook + *BSD + X + STonX

 :)

> Right now, the emulation in STonX is not on a level with what you
> get in MagiCMac. So if you want to run applications, MagiCMac is
> definitely the better choice *right now*. In nine months, however,
> things might have changed.

 Also (if i remember right), MagiCMac won't let you run any MiNT stuff,
so forget networking, `real' debugging (gdb) or any of the other nice
things that once made you subscribe this list...

 And (also AFAIK) MacMiNT(sp?) still has neither GEM nor X so i'd
guess thats also out.

 Soo, if you don't mind some hacking and there are no other reasons
why you'd prefer a mac over a `real' OS, (does it (MacOS) at least
have a true VM system now?  or is it still that pseudo-multitasking
busy-waiting wind*ze-like resource waster... ;) then i'd go for 4)
(or 3, if you like SYSV), and help improving STonX...  because just
like MiNT (and unlike Magi*anything), you get the source.

 cheers
	Juergen

PS: btw, has anyone tried MagiCMac on that un*x mac emulator?
i think its called `Executor', or something...

PPS: or, can you cross-compile atari stuff on a mac?  this i486dx100
(ok not a notebook but...) rebuilds its entire (FreeBSD) kernel in
a bit more than 10 minutes, and that kernel is a `little' bigger
than MiNT.  And when the emulated ST crashes, i don't have to reboot.
(thats why i asked if macs have true VM now...)  or can a mac run cvs?

PPPS: yes MiNT on STonX won't see the net yet, but that _may_ be
just a matter of a little .xif that talks to its hosts /dev/tun0.
(unless you want both to be using the same ip # but as we all know
security on MiNT is a joke...)  and if noone has done a .xfs to
mount the hosts disks directly by then, well, use nfs.

PPPPS: and hey you could even run X clients on MiNT then if you
really must, just set DISPLAY... ;)