X-windows on STF.

> I have recently installed X along with the TAF distribution and I am
> having problems connecting to my University computer. I start just the
> X-server on the ST and telnet to the remote machine where I `setenv DISPLAY
> birnie.demon.co.uk:0' and run a window manager there. OpenLook gives me the
> message `Unable to find RGB Values for a named Color' and twm says
> `invalid color name "white"' and the same for "black". Some applications
> notabely POP11, refuse to run saying 'Color name "white" not defined in
> server database'. Ditto "black".
>
> Other applications, like XClock, run fine and display on the ST with no
> problems. Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Is this
> something to do with the message the X-server gives on start-up -
> `Couldn't open RGB_DB /usr/lib/X11/rgb'?

AFAIK the MiNT X11 doesn't utilize the RGB database at all. If the
programs run, you can just redirect the error messages to /dev/null
(or to a file). For POP11 you might try defining the colors on the
resource file to something that doesn't need to be looked up or
compiling your own version of it :-). Note: I use W, not X nor do
I know what's POP11 (mail reader?).

> Also does anyone know where the source/diffs for the mint port of X11R5
> is located? Is anyone working on R6?

Hmm, it's got a lot of additional stuff so I guess it would take a lot
more ram (PEX, font server (or were they already on R5?)).

The standard X consortium X11R5 sources are a bit over 100MB with
documentation.

	- Eero