Re: MiDI driver for MiNT-net?

> >How hard would it be to make a MIDI driver (like slip.xif and plip.xif
> >and the Ethernet drivers) for MiNT-net?
>
> Have you tried using the regular slip driver and slattach to /dev/midi ?
>
> I'm not sure if it would work - you might want to install the hsmodm
> midi drivers.

It _does_ work (but not with the hsmodm drivers, which seem to stuff
things up), but the throughput is only a couple hundred bytes per second.

Using uncompressed SLIP on the standard ST serial port is 5 times faster.

I can only presume that this is because of flow control issues (ie: the
midi ports don't have any that's usable in this case).

It might be possible to cook up a suitable encoding scheme to let us allow
the MIDI ports to use their XON XOFF handshaking without disturbing their
data. Even better, it would be nice to see MIDI become an ethernet-like
broadcast device, so that boxes could be plugged in and plugged out and
packets would travel to the right machines. I'd seriously consider
sacrificing a lot of speed for that.