Re: MiDI driver for MiNT-net?

> > > I'm not sure if it would work - you might want to install the hsmodm
> > > midi drivers.
> >
> > It _does_ work (but not with the hsmodm drivers, which seem to stuff
> > things up), but the throughput is only a couple hundred bytes per second.
>
> Yes, both ppp and slip SHOULD work in principle with /dev/midi. But there is
> a problem with flow-control, indeed.
>
> > It might be possible to cook up a suitable encoding scheme to let us allow
> > the MIDI ports to use their XON XOFF handshaking without disturbing their
> > data. Even better, it would be nice to see MIDI become an ethernet-like
> > broadcast device, so that boxes could be plugged in and plugged out and
> > packets would travel to the right machines. I'd seriously consider
> > sacrificing a lot of speed for that.
>
> As /dev/midi is a standard tty device you can use xon/xoff. This should
> work with PPP, since it works on non-8-bit-clean-lines. You just have
> to escape ^S and ^Q for PPP. Look into pppd.8 for exmaples on how to do
> this.

*Blink* Someone shoot me for not thinking of that :/

> Making "broadcasting over midi" work should be no problem with midi-thru.
> If I get it right, if you connect some ataris with midi and one sends
> something *all* connected machines will receive the data on the midi-wire,
> right?
>
> If so broadcasting works automatically: if one machine sends a packet all
> others will receive it, but when matching the destionation IP addresses
> in the packet header all but the destination machine will trow away the
> packet.

Erm...There's a problem, I think. Each machine that recieves it will try
to route the packet according to their routing tables, IIUIC. That would
mean that a packet that arrives at a machine for which it is not intended
will go back out the 'default' route. That will mean that a copy of the
packet would bounce around the network until it's TTL expired. (Multiplied
by the number of 'incorrect' receivers, unless sequence numbers squash
them).

> Can someone try this? I currently have only one working Atari.

I have three permanently connected to the net, here. (203.4.148.180-182)
I don't have enough midi leads though. I can only connect two.