Re: MiNT and binary emulation subsystem.

>This is an interesting paragraph that I read about NetBSD.
>

>NetBSD 1.1 has significantly enhanced the binary emulation subsystem
>(which includes iBCS2, Linux, OSF/1, SunOS, SVR4, Solaris and Ultrix
>compatibility) and several kernel subsystems have been generalized
>to support this more readily.  The binary emulation strategy is
>aimed at making the emulation as accurate as possible.
>

>        mint@atari.archive.umich.edu.
>

>My question is:  Is it possible to do the same with MiNT?  perhaps we
>can find out how the NetBSD subsystem works and implement it in MiNTOS
>so that MiNT can use the binaries from NetBSD.  So emulations of
>interest to me would be AmigaDOS, MacOS, and OpenSTep.

I'm pretty sure this can't be done on less than a 68030.  Those OSes
all use virtual memory, and you'd need to simulate the VM layout the
process is expecting.  Even on a 68030 TOS/MiNT box, it would mean
moving VM into the kernel (I believe you have to use a separate program
like Outside at the moment?), which would be a big piece of
programming.  (I'm quite happy to be proved wrong on all this!)

--Charles