Re: AfterSTep, A NeXT style Window Manager for X

On Fri, 31 May 1996, Peter Ross wrote:

> Here is info on AfterSTep,a freeware NeXT-style window manager for X windows.
> Perhaps the source can be modified to be a front end to MiNT and XaAES.

I don't think that's a sensible thing to do. A window manager under X
does all the stuff the wind_* library of GEM functions should do (i.e.
stuff that is already build into XaAES), and lacks a lot of features a
real GEM desktop should provide. X and GEM are simply far too different
on this matter.

> http://woodward-52.rh.uchicago.edu/~frank/afterstep/
>
> Here is a screenshot:
>
> http://woodward-52.rh.uchicago.edu/~frank/afterstep/screenshots/screenshot-fsf.jpg

However, there are Xwindow ports for MiNT/MiNTnet, and it's certainly
good to have a variety of window managers available for it. So a port for
X unter MiNT might be quite interesting.

Cheers  Peter

   Peter Rottengatter             perot@pallas.amp.uni-hannover.de