FreeMiNT 1.14 BETA-2 special binary and tips..

Hi!

I have compiled a special binary which only leave 2Mb of ST-ram. It is handy
for falcons with little memory.

There seems to be several bugs in HDDriver. I tested HDDiver a bit some time
ago and found it highly unstable on my TT so I don't use it. Users using
HDDriver together with FreeMiNT 1.14 have reported numerous errors. These
errors are probably bugs in HDDriver. I am very interested in reports regarding
success or failures using various HDDrivers. I will make a version for color
monitor users which can aid in the betatesting.

The problem seems to be that HDDriver belive that a transfer from the scsi
device is faulty and try to retransfer the data. This means that hddriver
hands and you hear a metallic clicking sound from the HD (ie the hd seeking).
I have heard from a friend of mine (which is developing Zero-X) that HDDriver
is lousy at communicating with special devices like samplesynths.

These problems can occur from the fact that I am using the expanded version of
rwabs (with long sectornumbers). I have heard that HDDriver might have some
problems with this.

I am writing drivers for floppy, ide, asci and scsi for Fenix. I will perhaps
incoperate these sources in FreeMiNT in some way so that the swapper will
access the hd direct.

I don't have Multi TOS and have not tested it with FreeMiNT 1.14. I am also
interested in reports from users of various gem extensions.

Tip: To test if the VM is properly installed try to view the available ram
using newdesk, devpac, lattice or similar program which show the available
memory. The amount of ram should be roughly the same as the size of the
swappartiton.

Tip 2: If you are encountering problems always remove all autos and accs. Also
strip down your mint.cnf to a bare minimum (no execs and so on..).

I get a little bit worried since I only get mails from people saying that the
VM_extension didn't work for them. I would like to hear from people that have
got things working!

Regards
	Sven Karlsson
Student of Engineering Physics at Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden

Soft- and Hardware developer @ Istari Software
Current project: Code ,an interactive development tool for video
	game consoles including Editor,Debugger and Assembler
	Fenix, a new OO OS for Atari compatible computers.
E-mail: f92sk@efd.lth.se or tomten@df.lth.se
WWW: http://www.efd.lth.se/~f92sk