Re: MC 4.0

> > I managed to run the Midnight Commander on my 4 meg Falcon after I
> > installed terminfo (thanks, Katherine!). But there are still some problems
> > left:
> >
> > 1) mc (as well as lynx) does not work on vconsoles. To make it work I had
> >    to change the default terminal for vconsoles, from stv52 to st52.
>
> mc definitely works on vconsoles here. You have wrong terminfo, most
> probably. I'll upload my terminfo and termcap somewhere if anybody wants.

Well, would be welcome... BTW. what is the exact difference between st52
and stv52? vconsoles run fine with st52, at the other hand, when I changed
the terminfo stv52 entry so that it pointed to the st52, nothing has
happened (i.e. the mc behaved exactly the same as with old stv52)...

> > 2) mc bombs if you try to perform "Save options". No matter, if YOU select
> >    this option or the mc tries to save options automatically. The result
> >    is the same: Bus error.
>
> This is a well known problem, for me at least. It's there since version
> 3.00 (which I compiled for Linux-m68k years ago). It might be a endianess
> bug or an unitialized pointer (just guessing).

Aha :) I met such a problem somewhere before, trying to run a small
program ported from Linux/x86 (wasn't it an old adduser? :)). The program
bombed and, looking to the source code, I discovered it wouldn't ever have
a chance to run properly, because it tried to read data using a pointer
that was initialized some instructions later... :))) I.e. tried to read
from the address zero ($00000000). It was a loop, of course, so the
pointer finally got the proper value and the program found
what-it-had-to-find-there. Nevertheless, an obvious result on 68k machines
is a bus error. Later I realized this might work fine on intel boxes
because, afaik, this area is not protected in x86 processors. :)

So I vote for an unitialized pointer :)

Bye!

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz

mail:draco@mi.com.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus/
 IRC:[Draco]

*** Ea natura multitudinis est,
*** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur.
*** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono
*** unizenie, albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.
                                           (Liv. XXIV, 25)