RE: Program header proposal

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> > too bad for the MiNT libs... Why don't they put the stack into the BSS?
> >
> > Anyway, I think that this would be a useful feature anyway, even if MiNT lib
> > linked programs would be excluded for now.
>
> Fortunately Yves is preparing PL 48 now, What about passing this idea for
> him?

Ok... not to disappoint anyone, but I think now might be a good
time to re-assert some things I said when I proposed to take the
MiNTlib into my custody:

1.  I am not a systems programmer, and probably never will be.
I am a self-sufficient _user_ of both the Unix and Atari
operating systems; I know how to patch and compile source code,
I have some programming experience (though mostly not in C), and
I can make simple fixes. But beyond that... even something like
building a getmntent emulation on the basis of good code
provided by Julian, is a bit of a stretch for me.  I'm enjoying
this "stretching", as a sort of apprenticeship, but I just don't
want people to think I can undertake "real" development projects
in systems programming.

2. I say again, I'd rather be thought of as the stop-gap
"custodian" of the MiNTlib, not its maintainer.  If a "real"
programmer comes along and wants to become the maintainer, the
job is his/hers.

3. That being clarified, I will still gladly entertain
suggestions and patches (large or small) for PL48.

Regards

Yves