Re: Multitasking during disc access (was: Re: MiNT scheduling)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> That's pretty interesting, cause the difference between SLICES=1 (as you
> have set) and SLICES=4 should be hardly noticeable for humans. Afaik,
> one slice is 1/200 secs...

Now what made me think that each slice was 20 milliseconds? I'm sure I
read that somewhere, but I forget where.

If that's true, then maybe MiNT could benefit from the possibility of
smaller timeslices?

If, OTOH, they are really 1/200 second then it does seem remarkable that
the difference is so noticable. But certainly it is noticable: even
increasing slices to 2 instead of 1 makes a noticable difference on my TT.
I tried setting it to 100, and that made other processes simply not
respond at all for long periods of time.

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                 http://www.pl.net/user/mario      |\__/,|   (`\