Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

>It's the kernel (proc.c):
>                /* punish the pre-empted process */
>                if (curproc->curpri >= MIN_NICE)
>                        curproc->curpri -= 1;

so the MiNT does the adaptive prioritization for the I/O application? How
does it know which process is the one which needs a better priority? Can it
handle both console and GEM applications?

>IIRC, AES 4.0 was still doing busy waiting, causing it's own priority to
fall.
>Wasn't this one of the things fixed in 4.1?

yes, of course.

>Some years ago, I used ICD's harddisk driver with a relatively large cache
>(both read and write) and that was also good for gcc compile times.

yes. A pity there's no such cache in HDDRIVER.

>Unfortunately, I haven't found a HD cache program that will work with
>my current machine.

BTW, ICD 7 should work on AB040, I heard.

>> time - my development cycles are too long (usualy two to five minutes of
>> recompiling PARCP or Atari800 - I hate that!)
>
>The best way to cut down on compilation times is to use shorter source
files.
>After all, most changes/additions are rather local and there's no need to
>recompile everything.

Yes, sure. PARCP consists of 25 source files. But when I do make clean; make
all, it takes ages.

Petr