Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

----- Forwarded message from Fabrice Gamberini -----

>From mint-request@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu Thu Feb 12 11:23:28 1998
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:57:52 +0100
From: gamberin@art.alcatel.fr (Fabrice Gamberini)
To: mint@atari.archive.umich.edu
Subject: Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 , Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

>Quite interesting. But what's the use of Linux on an ordinary ST, when
>MiNT is already a bit slow on such a machine? Besides, I personally could
>install normal Linux/68k (68030), but no use of Linux for me as long as
>the system is not GEM compatible. So I prefer MiNT.

You're right. MiNT is already slow  - though perfectly usable -,

I have Idears to change this. Maybe today I'll find the time to do something
in this direction. I will change the sceduler to one that reduces the
sceduling decission to dereferencation of a pointer in most cases (worst case
is with one process running for a long time without blocking for I/O.
In this case sceduling desiccion is manny dereferancations.) Also interactive
threads willget most of the time wheras non interactive threads start with lots
of time, assuming they are interactive and then are reduces to get along with
the rest. This way the System will fell very much faster (I hope).

                        Christof