gcc 2.7.2.3 question

Hi, I have installed this gcc version, I used to have 2.58 and worked
fine. (well as expected).
This new version works, but somewhat, a little weird (imo).
Example, I compiled a little C program I used to compile no prob
before with 2.58. Now the prob is that the libs are called
differently.
Example, -lsocket before would call libsocket.a at linking. Now with
this new gcc it looks for socket.olb, no big deal I just have to
create some symbolic links, but well I find it weird, is it normal?
also another remark, It doesn't produce an output with X flag for file
attribute! so I have to chmod the output manually, is that normal?
Is there any gcc config file anywhere? I couldn't find it if there is.

Also in the 2.7.2.3 there is a file called "specs", it is not straight
ascii, what is this for?
Any help more than welcome, thanks.

Email:Kellis@primenet.com
Web http://www.primenet.com/~kellis/