Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> >If you run MiNTOS on a standard ST you're probably not using GEM (that
> >would cripple both MiNTOS and GEM) anyway. The biggest problem would
> >probably be the lack of memory, I can't imagine that you can do
> >anything sensible with Linux on a 4Mb machine without VM.
>
> Hopefully there are several memory extensions for ST up to 16 MB of memory.
>
> BTW, have you noticed the 68000 Linux kernel takes only 76 kB of memory? I
> don't get it - the regular 68030 kernel takes more than 500 kB...

I did not see it, but I am not really surprised.  How big does
Linux _need_ to be?  (I don't know, I'm just asking...)

Surely, if this is Linux for microcontrollers, they don't expect
to be able to run a big, fat kernel...  So perhaps, with a lean
windowing system (W?), this _could_ make a cool little system on
a 4 meg ST.

Yves
__
When the trees are seen to be moving, the enemy is advancing.
                                              Sun Tzu 9:20