Re: Supervisor mode & multitasking

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> GEM init yes. But there's a serious problem with it. GEM-init is started
> by the AES as a shell, then it starts the true shell once someone has
> logged on. As a result, the desktop is not treated by the AES as a shell,
> but as a normal application. Thus, when you run a program, "real" desktop
> (i.e. login) gets topped by the N.AES and Thing's desktop window, with
> background image, icons etc, disappears replaced by grey thing of N.Desk.
> It looks _very_ ugly.

This sounds like some fault in the design of GEM or AES (versus X where
the login/shell etc. are just apps), or something. I'm not terribly
familiar with how GEM works, is there any solution to this as it's true
that a cleaner solution would be to have the login on top of the desktop.
In fact the whole thing should be generalized..

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |    www.fishpool.com
         +-> |    setok@fishpool.com       |  - - --+
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |