Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> >Are you talking about raising the priority of IO-intensive tasks? That
>
> AFAIK, MiNT has always had adaptive priorities (it was advertised by Atari
> corp. IIRC)

I'm not sure about this, I know you can adjust priorities "by hand"
though.

> >makes sense, in addition to give more time to the UI it should also
> >speed up compilation etc. a bit.
>
> I can't see how this can speed up compilation, since compiler is not an
> interactive task.

If you raise the priority for processes that does heavy IO then gcc
should be on top :-)

Btw. I tried to link the gcc binaries from /ram, as well as use the
-pipe option, and it speeded up the compilation of NcFTP by ~20% :-)

/*
**
*/