Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strikes back)

perot@pallas.amp.uni-hannover.de%INTERNET wrote:

> > I can't see what the big deal is, some programs depends on the
> > presence of other programs in other situations as well. With proper
> > documentation this isn't a problem at all.

> > programs or features installed by other programs. Can all these be
> > "fixed"? Doubtful, the running-order in c:\auto is something we all
> > have to live with.
>
> I said it cannot be avoided in all cases. But it should be avoided where
> it's so easy. At least the possibility of the situation that I described
> in my earlier post (app A must run before B, and B must run before A for
> some other reason) clearly dictates that IMHO.

Well, in some cases that can be fixed by installing the "required" piece
of code A during initialization of B.

Example:

SPIN.XFS needs Metaxbs.prg. If it's not running, it gets started
automatically (\auto\metaxbs.prx).

SPIN_SD.BOS needs a SCSI driver. If none is running, it attempts to
start Steffen Engel's driver (scsidrv.prx or mm_scsi.prx).

Regards, jr