more gcc/mintlib questions

hi,
1st I would like to apologize if these questions can be found on some
kind of FAQ. (could't find any relevant).

All these questions are about the gcc MINT version. (some could be
appliable to other gcc version though).

 Regarding the use of -mshort:
why is it necessary to ALSO specify -mshort for the linker?
Why would one need to compile the objects with mshort, but link to the
32 bit lib? I can't understand. Wouldn't it be logical to use mshort
at linking if mshort was precised for the compilation of the objects?

 Regarding the use of mshort with the socket libs:
No net program can be compiled with mshort here it seems, any reason?
is that normal? No error, it just doesn't do anything, just exit the
program if I try to run it.
Could it be that my socket16 got corrupted?  if so, my bsocket16 got
corrupted as well..

 Regarding the test folder in net1.01 distribution:
Anyone got to compile successfully the 2 prog speed and speedd ?
Here it kinda compiles fine, but the result is not really
understandable. Just hangs for hours, no crash.
And I noticed that if I exit it, then run it again, it reports
connection impossible, address already taken.
I also noticed that if I run speedd with -1 for buffer, !boom crash
hu!", Same crash as land does. Could it help to see what speedd really
does, and probably fix/patch the socket drivers, OR mint kernal to
avoid this kind of bug? (land type). "nothing respond, not even the
vcons, keyboard, nothing"

 Regarding the gcc lib again:
The mintlib (47) came as libgnu.a
What is the difference between libgnu and libc?
Are they the same but different name?

hmm thanks :)
That's all for now :)

Email:Kellis@primenet.com