Re: Asm or C (was: Re: New Web browser for MiNT)

Well well well, very interesting all that :)
Here is what I think (for those who care).

We have to consider that this browser will be for GEM after all.
So the speed won't be as tremendous as if it was for a demo in ASM.
You will still have to rely on the aes vdi itself more than your
internal code.
The other point is that more people will be willing to share this
project and participate more actively if the language is well known.
Some critical part where speed is really needed such as depacking
pict, sounds(if we want to include sound) could be done in ASM.
The real concern is the structure of the program itself, how do you
want to do that? how do you want to deal with connections? what aes
closely supported? should it work on a plain multitos or take
advantage of some extra routines/calls offered by naes for example?
What would be the minimum requirements? color? cpu? ram? aes? desktop?
Thread? possible? a lot of people said that thread DIDN't exist at
all in mint, hm but in the compendium there is an example of a thread
programing. what's the deal here?  (could be in the compendium or some
mint docs, don't remember).

Ok, now the ASM side. I have seen OZK 100% ASM gem program, and surely
enough, it flies..
the prob is that this guy (ozk) only knows ASM, should we blame him?
hell no.

The thing would be why starting the project in C if no one is really
ready to help, participate. Might as well make a small team of ozk and
few asm coder to do it.

At this point, ANYTHING would be better than CAB.
Who would be interested? who would handle what design for this browser
etc etc.. Let's not "fight" over ASM vs C. That's old news.

As the matter of fact, I just keep this in mind:
a nice GEM tool even written in gfa completed is better than few VERY
good asm routine stored in someone's harddrive.

(got UNiC 2.23 btw? ;))
heheheh see what I mean? see where I am coming from?

Thanks for your attention.
Email:Kellis@primenet.com
Web http://www.primenet.com/~kellis/