Re: SPIN problem?

On Sun, 3 May 1998 12:55:20 +0200 (METDST), Torsten Lang wrote:

TL>Well, if you really want to be sure that your CD is readable under all systems
TL>supporting ISO9660 you should choose strict ISO. WinNT fs is quite strange -

I said I needed it under DOS and TOS, nowhere else.

TL>may be what is meant is "Joliet" but in this case it should be able to use
TL>up to 255 chars per filename...

No, it's not Joliet. I disabled Joliet in separate dialog. It had to be
original NTFS limit (those 128 chars).

TL>> Now the CD is fine under both DOS and TOS, but under MiNT (CD-Tools
TL>> driver + SPIN 0.34 driver) it behaves strangely:
TL>>
TL>Does the CD-Tools driver support long filenames? is it an XFS?

CD-Tools driver is not xfs, it is HS-CDROM.BOS (for ATAPI CD-ROM).

TL>to be supported any more - kinda wasted money). Even more: When entering some
TL>directory levels under Thing (no matter which version) Thing crashes (no matter

yes, I noticed that too. Thing has several limitations and it crashes
with very long directories. It also seems to not support filenames
longer than about 32 characters.

TL>There's another problem with both drivers (SPIN and CDROM.XFS): Diskchanges are
TL>not handled correctly! After changing a CD the drive seems to be empty. Only
TL>after a forced media change (which is not possible on a shell!) the contents

I believe there's a small prg for forcing media change (though I can't
recall its name).

TL>> So I *think* that it's a hidden feature of SPIN that *some* system utils
TL>> (ls, find) show 8+3 DOS filenames in lowercase while other (bash, system
TL>> part of find?) show uppercase. Under MiNT all DOS filenames on CD should
TL>> probably be in lowercase, to be compatible with TOSfs drives.
TL>>
TL>Seems to be more a bug ;-) But at least - it's not SPIN specific...

Hmm, that's bad. I hoped it's in SPIN so Julian would be able to fix it.

TL>> Opionions? Hints? Bugfixes?
TL>>
TL>As I said: I have the impression that Domains are mixed up...

Yes, quite possible. I just hope Julian will be able to fix that.

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer
   WWW: http://cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz/~stehlik/              MiNTOS/Linux user