Re: filesystems

On Thu, 21 May 1998 3:45:58 -0700, Julian Reschke-FJR010 wrote:

JR>> BTW, this problems is very similar to that problem with CD-ROM I
JR>> described here some weeks ago. I asked there the SPIN's author to return
JR>> all filenames from case insensitive CD-ROMs in lowercase, so it would be
JR>> 'compatible' with the rest of operating system.
JR>
JR>Sorry, but this is simply incorrect. The file system *must* return the
JR>filenames as they are on the medium. It's up to the application (or the
JR>readdir() binding in the C library) to do a translation.

Yes, you are right. I am sorry.

I have just checked readdir() and it seems that it returns filenames on
case insensitive filesystems in lowercase (at least there are lines
62-64 in readdir.c that do just that). So there is probably another
system function that returns the same filename it uppercase, and that
function is used in filename completion in bash. I *think* that this
is a library inconsistency that should be fixed.

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer
   WWW: http://cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz/~stehlik/              MiNTOS/Linux user