Re: vt100 compliance

 >> MANY newer applications consider termcap as obsolete; they need a pre-
 >> compiled terminfo, which is NOT something the user can upload; it has
 >> to be installed by tech support.
 >
 >Nope, you can quite easily load up your own terminfo. Just as easy as
 >termcap actually.

Sorry to disagree, but when I was using Citenet.Net as my provider
(they give shell access on top of regular dialup), I recall running
into the same problem, uploading termcap and editing my .bash_login,
then being told by "unix gurus" it might instead require a terminfo,
which I also uploaded and installed.

No go.  A quick call to Citenet tech support confirmed their Pine is
hardcoded to use the global termcap/terminfo from the system; a user
profile is simply ignored "for security reasons".

I have heard of more similar stories from other people abroad.

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>