Re: mint.cnf request.

> If I set MAXMEM to 8192 - a reasonable amount for gcc :-) - then `free`
> returns a value just less that this as I log in, even though I know
> _FOR_SURE_ that I haven't used up 6 Mb of memory in daemons, xdd's, xfs's
> etc.
>
> Do I still have 14 Mb of memory to use, ie am I being unduly stupid, or,
> is there a bit more to this?

The memory limit limits the maximum amount of memory available per user
process. As I understand that, the limit memoryuse 8192 gives 8 MB of RAM
for your shell and all its children. If you log in as another user
simultaneously, you'll get another 8 MB.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@mi.com.pl                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.