Re: new distribution...

> Perhaps a standardized installer could be created that would have a registry
> ala Windows to assist in easy de-installing.

The day that MiNT(os) starts using a win95-style registery, I'm going to
wipe my minix partition and install Magic. :)  Seriously, the biggest
source of problems in Win95 (as far as I can see everywhere around me) is
that it does everything by itself using scripts and wizzards and of course
the feared registery, and once some wizzard buggers, the user is
completely on his own to clean up the mess (because the operating system
lost track of what's going on).

IMHO, we should really stick to clear config files the way it is now,
maybe changed by installation programs now and then BUT documented in such
a way that the user still knows what config file does what and how to
change the behaviour. (KGMD already crosses the line a bit, but only
because of the poor documentation. I haven't looked at the mint setter yet
but knowing Kellis I think it's ok). :)

Once everything is dumped in a huge registery file full of codes no one
understands, MiNTos will get the same unpredictable and unsolvable ("just
reinstall it and see if it helps")-kind of problems as Windows.

> Is there a Man to ST-Guide
> utility?

I heard there is, yes. :) I've suggested using HYPs as well (at least to
get users started.. well at least a MAN.HYP anyway) :))