Re: VFAT kernel considerations

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> I recommend that newfatfs explicitely ignores any request (mint.cnf)
> to write drive C: as VFAT media, in order to be totally idiot-proof.

I disagree, a warning in the docs should be sufficient. It's not like
enabling VFAT on the boot-partition makes it impossible to boot, it's
just that it can make things confusing at times (or destroy things if
you don't know what you're doing).

> Also, the kernel should read "/etc/fstab" and reject requests to
> make any Minix partition as VFAT-writable, printing this message:

This isn't necessary, as VFAT can only be enabled on
FAT-partitions anyway.

> Furthermore, it might be a good idea to write "/etc/fstab" and
> specify any partitions (ie: drive D: or above) that use VFAT, so
> that future versions of INIT can call up the correct version of
> FSCK for each filesystem.

/etc/fstab should be updated, but I think this should be some by some
configuring-program (like kellis' MiNT-setter) and not by the kernel.

/*
**
*/