Re: VFAT kernel considerations

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >Errr.... what else would you expect? VFAT is an extension and TOS
>  >doesn't know this extension. So it would be rather silly to expect
>  >that TOS can do *anything* with VFAT entries properly.
>
> This is exactly the kind of snaffu that makes MagiC's VFAT driver
> trash the boot partition, whenever something goes wrong, such as
> deleting a file under SingleTOS then rebooting under MagiC. Boum!

Then MagiC's VFAT-extension is poorly implemented. I expect MiNT's
VFAT-extension to be better than this :-)

> This is precisely why I suggested that we use /etc/fstab to declare
> any VFAT partitons and have some sort of FSCK run through it (rc.boot)
> to delete any "dead" longname entries while checking the partiton.

A small tool that remove non-valid VFAT-entries would be useful. Such
a tool should also remove all VFAT-entries from ordinary
FAT-partitions. But I don't see any point in using /etc/fstab, as you
can determine the type of partition (VFAT or not) simply by using
Ssystem().

/*
**
*/