Re: Virtual Memory (Was Re: Kernel 1.14.7 available)

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> Tha Falcon VDI could[1] be able to work without the blitter as long as you
> do not use more than 16 colors.
>
> The problem might be to turn off the blitter: I am not sure if the XBIOS/VDI
> functions which cause the problems use a trap or if they instead use direct
> subroutine calls in the ROM, which would be 'difficult' to patch. At least
> Blitmode is fixed to always enable the Blitter on the Falcon IIRC.

Douglas Little (Black Scorpion) has looked into this for his
Afterburner ToolKit (the AB has fastram so the blitter must be
disabled), but haven't been able to patch the VDI. And if there's
something Doug Little can't do with a Falcon, it's not *possible* to
do with a Falcon ;-)

> If this is true, VM would really depend von NVDI or similar.

This isn't really a problem, there's not many left that still use the
original VDI.

/*
**
*/